What is Marketing?
Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to potential customers, in order to sell that product or service. It involves development and communication regarding the strategy of the business – its value, proposition, go to market approach, and brand and positioning and image to the world.
As a marketer, you’ll help organisations to identify and understand their customers, and come up with ideas to communicate the benefits and unique selling points of the organisation’s product or service.
Marketing and financial services
There are a number of areas within marketing that are relevant to financial services businesses. These may include but are not limited to:
- Advertising research
- Business-to-business marketing
- Integrated marketing communications
- Public relations
- Sales management and operations
- Digital and social marketing
Examples of job roles within marketing:
- Digital Marketing Executive/Officer/Assistant
- Business development Executive/Officer/Assistant
- Advertising Officer/Copywriter
- Marketing/Campaign Executive/Officer/Assistant
- Brand/Product/Marketing/Campaign/Advertising/Business Development/Digital Marketing Manager
- Account/Campaign/Brand/Digital Marketing Director
- Head of Marketing/Communications/Development
- Chief Marketing Officer
Skills you may need:
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills and the ability communicate clearly and concisely
- Organisational and planning skills
- Ability to think strategically and independently
- General IT skills
Qualifications you may need:
- Relevant university degree
- Relevant work experience
- Professional accreditations from organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), the Communication Advertising and Marketing Foundation (CAM), PRINCE2 and Google Analytics.