Open Garden (Not Open Water) for the RNLI
The Jersey Lifeboat Guild will be hosting an Open Garden at Greenfields, St Mary, in aid of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) on Sunday 28 June.
The event is a rare opportunity for visitors to have a look around one of Jersey’s finest gardens that has been carefully crafted and looked after by Mr and Mrs Maltwood for the last 40 years. With over 70 species of trees and many more plants and shrubs within the garden it is a horticulturalist’s paradise. The main house is a traditional Jersey Cod house built with granite from Mount Bingham dating from 1849.
Local law firm Voisin are sponsoring the event, and will have representatives from their property team on hand to give informal advice to anyone considering moving house within Jersey, or in need of legal advice on property issues.
Ian Strang, Managing Partner, Voisin, commented:
‘The RNLI provides an invaluable service and we are delighted to support their Open Garden. We hope that many people will take this opportunity to come and enjoy these wonderful surroundings at one of Jersey’s finest properties and help to boost the charity’s funds.’
Julie Benest, Guild Chairman, RNLI, said:
‘The Committee of the Jersey Lifeboat Guild would like to express its sincere thanks to Mr and Mrs Maltwood for their hospitality and generosity in opening their garden on our behalf. We would also like to thank Voisin Property for their support. We are all really looking forward to the event and hope we can raise some money for the RNLI in Jersey.’
The majority of lifeboat crews are volunteers, risking their own safety to help others in trouble, however it still costs the RNLI around £80,000 a year to keep all three lifeboats on station in Jersey. The charity receives no government or state funding and relies on voluntary contributions and legacies.
The garden will be open between 2pm and 5pm on Sunday 28th June. Entry costs £3 and can be paid on the day. Voisin representatives will also be on hand to assist visitors.
– (ends) –
Issued by Natasha Egre, OTL PR, Tel: 01534 725521, email: email@example.com
Notes to editors
The original farm buildings, low and semi-derelict, stood to the north of the Cod house that borders the road and have been replaced by the main front door to the house. The Cod house can be seen in the traditional architectural form of five windows at the first floor level and 4 windows and the front door on the ground floor. The house was built of granite from Mount Bingham in the early 1800’s and is shown on the Godfray map of 1849 as being owned by Mr M N le Rossignol. Derek and Maggie Maltwood have developed the property over the last 40 years in a series of seven projects. Similarly the garden has been developed over the same period from open fields, most of the work and planting being done by the owners.
On entering the driveway, the Leylandii hedge on the western boundary is the second to have been planted there. Going on to the lawn there is a Pinus Pinea on the left and then a golden Cedrus Deodara from the Himalayas and a weeping Blue Cedar. In front of the Pendula Blue Cedar – Cedrus Atlantica “Glauca Pendula” – is a sculpture by Philip Jackson called “Mistress of the Ca’D’Oro”. Behind the hedge running along the drive are a Picea Breweriana (Brewers Pine, a rare North American spruce noted for its long slender drooping branches), a Rhododendron “Pink Pearl”, Chamaecyparis Nootkatensis, Rhododendron “Jersey Cream” and a Tsuga Heterophylla (Western Hemlock).
Near to the end of the house is an olive tree Olea europea and a Magnolia Grandiflora.
Walking towards the olive tree there is a Blue cedar on the left while tucked away between it and the laurel hedge is a sculpture by Sydney Harpley “Girl on a Hammock”. (There is another of these statues in the Singapore Botanical Gardens together with two others sculptures by the same artist). On the terrace are three other pieces of sculpture: –
“Girl doing a Handstand” by Sydney Harpley
“Girl in a Hat” by Nick Deane
“Maggie Reading” by Philip Jackson
As one rounds the corner of the building there is an Embothrium coccineum (Chilean Fire Bush). Further on, there is a younger olive tree, another Pinus pinea, a Halesia monticola (Snowdrop tree) and a Picea pungens hoopsii Colorado Spruce, sometimes claimed to be the bluest form in cultivation. At the end of the lawn there is a Cercis siliquastrum, better known as a Judas tree, and a younger one that has red leaves known as “Forest Pansy” variety.
Cut back through the gap in the roses towards the statues of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter and turn left along the path. There is to be seen a sculpture of a “Badger with Cubs” by Philip Nathan. Almost hidden near the waterfall is a “Duck” by Maureen Ratel overlooked by the girl on the balustrade, “Napoleana”, by Nick Deane.
Continue along the path, up the steps at the other end and in the grass in front there is a Pyrus salicifolia pendula (Weeping willow-leaved pear), a Davida involcruta (Handkerchief tree) a Gleditsia and a Juglans Regia (walnut) amongst others. Walking through the Christmas tree wood one can see a Dawn Redwood, a Sequoiadendron giganteum (Sierra redwood – the biggest tree in the world, but only in its native homeland of Northern California) and also an Acer hersii (Snake bark maple).
There are to be seen and recognised many other plants, shrubs and trees. Altogether Mr & Mrs Maltwood have planted 2,000 trees around the garden and surrounding fields. Not all these trees remain, as a number have had to be thinned out as they grew but the woods have been recognised on the latest Ordnance Survey map of the Island.