Through our ongoing commitment to developing regional ties, we’re making sure that we remain the IFC of choice for Gulf investors, especially in private wealth, banking and Islamic finance.
As a jurisdiction that offers stability, certainty, high levels of governance and robust structures, Jersey is well placed to support business and families who want to ensure compliance with regulations and focus on their long-term objectives.
- There is a growing need for ethical, transparent and accountable finance in the Gulf region – areas in which we’re experts
- We’re able to work within a range of finance disciplines, sensitive to local dynamics, economies and cultures
- We support inward and outward foreign direct investment (FDI) for infrastructure projects through our integrated business development strategy
- We assist in family wealth management and pre-IPO planning
- We provide a full suite of cross-border, corporate, funds and wealth management services for high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs)
- We continue to support our permanent presence in the Gulf region with regular business seminars, roadshows and receptions to strengthen our relationships and widen our network of contacts.
When Jersey became the first international finance centre (IFC) to have an office within Dubai’s economic zone (DIFC), it put us in a good position to support the increasingly complex needs of investors in the UAE and the wider Middle East region.
Today our team in the Gulf Region are able to engage with stakeholders on the ground, providing a seamless bridge between Jersey and the GCC and the wider Middle East, and benefit from the ever-increasing trade links between Dubai and east and west Africa, and India.
It is Dubai’s development as a gateway jurisdiction between east and west Africa and India that perfectly places our Middle East Regional Hub office to drive our business development strategy for these exciting markets.
Jersey already enjoys well-established bilateral government-to-government relationships with several partners in the Gulf region, many of which are based on strong links across financial and professional services.
Jersey’s first Bilateral Investment Treaty with the UAE was signed in November 2021. This treaty enhances the business environment between the two jurisdictions by providing equitable treatment and routes to arbitration for investors. Jersey also signed a double taxation agreement with the UAE in 2017 to provide greater tax certainty for individuals, investors and businesses operating across Jersey and the Gulf state.
The Government of Jersey continues to negotiate a range of agreements with partners in the Gulf region to increase cooperation, provide investor certainty and boost investment. This includes engagement at both Ministerial and official levels with partners, including Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.