What Does a Job in Events Involve?
The events function of any organisation in the finance industry is a diverse role covering many different types of internal and external events from small, intimate gatherings to large scale conferences. Event programmes usually consist of a mixture of virtual and face to face events.
Running a successful event campaign involves:
Event work can be extremely creative and is particularly fulfilling for those that enjoy bringing people together to achieve specific aims. It can sometimes involve travel and often involves out-of-hours work and a flexible attitude to the working week.
Organising an event is quite different to attending one, and event managers require excellent organisation and broad marketing skills. Being able to work collaboratively and constructively with stakeholders and suppliers at a variety of levels is essential.
If you enjoy marketing through real-time experiences, have an eye for detail and organisation, a flexible attitude, and an ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders, you may want to consider a career in events.
What Event Job Opportunities Are There in Jersey?
A wide range of Jersey based, and international conferences and events take place each year within the finance industry.
In an events role you will be responsible for:
- Organising conferences, seminars and exhibitions, as well as social functions and other corporate events
- Managing online events such as webinars
- Implementing an international event program
- Budgetary and revenue management
Career opportunities in events management may form part of a general marketing or business development role, or as a standalone role in larger organisations such as:
- Event Officer/Assistant/Manager
- Head of Events
- Head of Sales and Events
- Training and Development Assistant/Manager (running internal events)
- Business Development Assistant/Director
What Skills Do I Need?
Events is a people focussed industry, so your soft skills will be important to succeeding, but an eye for detail and excellent organisation and budget management are equally important. We asked finance firms in Jersey what skills they are most looking for when hiring event management professionals and they responded:
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Negotiation skills when looking for the best price from venues, suppliers, and contractors
- Administrative and IT skills
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm
A qualification in a relevant university degree, event planning qualification or Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) qualification can help you to succeed in this role.