What is marketing?
Marketing is about communicating the value of a brand, product or service, to encourage people to buy or engage with it.
Starting with strategy and delivered through creativity, good marketing creates both practical and emotional connections to a brand.
Marketers work with organisations to help them understand their customers and create forward-thinking ideas that communicate their benefits and unique selling points (USPs).
Marketing in Financial Services
You could work in any of the following areas:
- Advertising research
- Business-to-business marketing (B2B)
- Integrated marketing communications
- Public relations (PR)
- Sales management and operations
- Digital and social marketing
What skills do you need?
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Organisational and planning skills
- Ability to think strategically and independently
- An eye for detail
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Digital skills
Qualifications to consider
- A relevant university degree
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- Communication Advertising and Marketing Foundation (CAM)
- Institute of Digital Marketing (IDM)
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR)
- Google Analytics qualification
- Relevant work experience
- Marketing Executive/Manager
- PR/Communications Manager
- Digital Assistant/Manager
- Events Assistant/Manager
- Business Development Executive/Manager
Chloe Withe Marketing & Digital Executive, Collas Crill
"Marketing is a very fast paced and exciting profession. You can go from designing an advert, to sending a newsletter, to hosting an event - all in one day! What I love most about my job is that it allows me to use my creative side and also liaise with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. In my (biased) opinion it is the best desk based job there is."
Lorna De Freitas Administrator, Marketing & Corporate Communications, SANNE
"I joined SANNE at a particularly exciting time for our marketing team. With a lot of diverse and regular new projects underway, every day is an opportunity to be immersed in all areas of marketing including: branding, events management, communications, and bid management. I thoroughly enjoy getting involved in all areas of the business and working with many different colleagues across our 20 global offices. Helping my colleagues deliver their initiatives also enables me to learn more about various business areas and working with different cultures."
To find out more about Marketing jobs in our industry, please contact the finance firms in our Business Directory.