Description of the Business Line or Department
The key objective of the Compliance team within SG Kleinwort Hambros (“SGKH”) is to ensure that the Registered Person complies fully with all its legal and regulatory obligations relating to Financial Services, AML/CFT and Data protection. Primary focus will be on regulatory compliance assessing the conformity of Laws, Regulations together with internal code of conduct, policies and internal procedures with legal obligations and best practices applicable to SG Kleinwort Hambros Corporate Services (CI) Limited.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
- To support the Compliance Officer(s), MLRO(s) & MLCO(s) for the Trust Company and the affiliated entities; the Funds Service Business and the underlying regulated Funds to ensure that the Fiduciary and Funds businesses in the Channel Islands remain compliant with all relevant laws, regulations, legislation and best practice.
- To support the Compliance Officer and the MLCO for the Trust Company and the affiliated entities; the Funds Service Business and the regulated Funds to perform their duties for the Trust Company and Funds Services businesses.
- To work alongside the Compliance Officer and the Head of Regulatory Compliance Jersey and other CPLE colleagues to provide guidance to management and staff of SGKH and SGTA so that the business remains compliant with all relevant laws, regulations, legislation and best practice.
- To support the Compliance Officer MLCO for Trust and Funds as a contact point for all Fiduciary and Fund matters with SG PRIV Head Office (SGPBHO) and internal stakeholders.
- The regulatory environment is ever changing and, therefore the role requires a pro-active and innovative approach to risk management.
Summary of responsibilities
- Form part of the CPLE function that will provide support on Fiduciary and Funds projects across the SGKH lines of businesses, functions and jurisdictions in order to obtain reasonable assurance that the project implementation is in line with the relevant laws, regulations, codes and SGKH standards within Regulatory Compliance.
- Assist with performing fund specific compliance monitoring programmes and writing relevant reports.
- Foster a positive culture of compliance by working proactively with the Trust and Funds business lines to ensure that best practices are followed in accordance with the applicable laws, rules, regulations, and internal policy.
- Support and assist on new and or revised business strategies, initiatives, and projects, which may include assisting businesses in assessing the risks associated with new/revised strategies and recommending and or assessing mitigation efforts to reduce risk exposure.
- Support as required in advising business units on the development of action plans to implement new or changed requirements for the Trust and Funds businesses. Action plans may include the development of or changes to existing training materials, policies, procedures, system, and other controls, monitoring/testing processes, and reporting.
- Support CPLE Team Senior Management in ensuring all reporting and adhoc information request in respect of Trust and Funds from SG Group are completed within timelines.
- Support the monitoring of regulatory development and engagement trends in respect of Trust and Funds and provide updates and reporting as appropriate / required.
- Liaise with the relevant Internal Audit, and with control functions (e.g., Finance, Credit, HR, CEO Office, Tax and InfoSec etc), in relation to Trust and Fund compliance matters including the provision of technical support and guidance when required.
- Support technical excellence by searching out external best practice, monitoring technical and professional developments, sharing knowledge and encouraging others to do the same in the best interests of SGKH and its clients.
- Develop and recommend changes and improvements to operating models, procedures and practices based on subject matter expertise and understanding of SGKH and market best practice.
- Communicate and adhere to SGKH policy and procedures in order to ensure good operational, financial and project management, policy and procedural compliance and early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of a CPLE management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels.
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of the application of CPLE policies, governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance.
- Escalating any identified potential weaknesses in the current systems and controls within SGKH in respect of Trust and Funds;
- Perform all duties in accordance with the principles outlined in the SG Code of Conduct, as well as the policies and procedures relevant to your responsibilities, to ensure that you adhere to a culture that treats clients fairly and focuses on the long term sustainability of client relationships.
- Individual contributor competencies as defined in the SG Leadership Model
- Experience in Private Banking/Wealth Management
- Team Spirit & Collaboration
- Knowledge of regulatory and legal requirements with respect to economic sanctions
- Knowledge & experience of providing guidance on sanctions to staff / management
- Communication – written & verbal to all levels of the organisation (inc Head Office) and to external third parties including regulators
- Decision Making – consider & recommend escalation to Head Office, regulators and relevant government agencies
- Influencing –persuade and influence management and staff across SGHUK
- Project Management – participate and where necessary lead/manage
- Strategic & Commercial Awareness – develop and apply commercial awareness and business acumen in all day to day and longer-term tasks