Collecting and recording financial information about a business, then using that information to support management and other stakeholders as they make decisions about the business.
Accountants then prepare and present financial statements, offering advice and consultancy along the way.
Accountants can function as business strategists, working closely with staff and managers throughout their day-to day-work to set strategic and organisational goals.
Chartered accountants work in many different settings: ranging from a sole practitioner of a firm through to a small or large accountancy practice or a chief executive of a multinational company.
In general, the main areas of employment in accountancy in Jersey include:
- Audit & assurance
- Tax advisory
- Finance and administration
- Corporate and business accounting
- Forensic and Dispute Consulting (where accountants can be called upon to provide expert witness services in court proceedings, carry out accounting or fraud investigations and the liquidation of companies that have gone bankrupt)
- Regulatory consulting services
An accountancy qualification equips people with general finance knowledge, meaning that your skills are easily transferable from role to role, company to company and country to country.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems
- Ability to analyse complex data sets
- Ability to work in a team, both in leadership and collaborative roles
- Ability to approach issues from multiple perspectives
- Acting ethically and legally
- Project management skills
- Logical decision making and strategic and creative thinking abilities
- Computational and technology skills
- Relevant university degree
- Relevant work experience
- Professional accreditations from organisations such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAEW, ICAS), the Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA) and Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
Some career opportunities may include but are not limited to:
- Audit Professional
- Tax Consultant
- Business Analyst
- Management Accountant
- Financial Accountant
- Fund Administrator/Manager