net asset value of regulated funds under administration
the amount private equity funds rose in a year
formed since their launch in 2017
The industry has a net asset value of £302 billion and a total of 1,014 regulated collective investment funds* established Currently, figures for the increasingly popular Jersey Private Fund are not included, meaning the actual net asset value figure is much higher.
Jersey has attracted a significant number of venture capital, private equity, mezzanine, real estate, infrastructure and hedge funds. For example, the net asset value of single class private equity funds under administration in Jersey stands at £89.5 billion*.
Providing significant flexibility for investor needs, Jersey continues to improve laws and regulations in order to provide better choices for investors. Some key facts include:
- The total funds business in Jersey grew by £6 billion in the third quarter of 2018
- It now stands at more than £300 billion, with strong performances in private equity (£89.5 billion) and hedge (£57 billion)
- The number of Jersey-based funds promoters has almost doubled in the last five years (source: Monterey Insight Jersey Funds Reports)
- Significant money is being raised from a wide range of EU countries. Jersey has seen an annual increase of 8% in fund managers using Jersey to market funds into Europe (source: JSFC)
Jersey has a legal, tax and regulatory framework, which supports the continued functioning of the Jersey fund management and services industry under the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive. Jersey was the first ‘third country’ to offer a fully functional opt-in regime under AIFMD, meaning a Jersey manager can establish different Jersey funds to access:
- The EU through National Private Placement Regimes (NPPRs); and
- The ‘rest of the world’ through business as usual
You can find out more on where investors in Jersey funds are currently based in the KPMG report, ‘Analysis of the Jersey Alternative Funds Sector Investor Base’.
Jersey offers easy and cost-effective marketing within the EU through National Private Placement Regimes (NPPRs). Also, because Jersey is not a Member State, it can provide effective out-of-the-AIFMD scope solutions for marketing to the rest of the world.
- Simplified regulatory obligations
- Familiarity outside the AIFMD for non-EU investors.
To see how well NPPRs are being used in Jersey, see our video below or view our interactive map showing which EU countries we work with.
Find out more about the Jersey regime by reading our factsheet.
*Statistic correct as at September 2018