What is Information Technology?
Information Technology (IT) covers anything related to computing technology, hardware, software, the Internet, as well as referring to the people that make sure they are all implemented and working properly. Jobs in IT cover a wide range of duties and require a diverse set of skills but a role in IT may cover:
What IT Job Opportunities Are There in Jersey?
Financial services is one of the biggest employers of IT professionals in the world, with companies such as Digital Jersey using the latest financial tech wherever possible and always looking for professionals to find unique and innovative ways to take advantage of these technologies.
IT jobs in the finance industry cover a wide range of career opportunities therefore it’s a great industry to join if you are looking for a role that is constantly evolving and bringing with it new challenges.
You could work in any of the following areas:
- Development (such as web, systems, products, programs, and software)
- System Administration and maintenance
- Infrastructure and hardware support
- End user support (service delivery)
- Cloud infrastructure support
Career opportunities in IT include:
- Help Desk Technician
- Systems Analyst
- IT Manager
- Web Developer
- Software Engineer
- Operations analyst
- Cloud Operations Engineer
What Skills Do I Need?
As a constantly evolving industry, making sure your technical skills are continually refreshed and up to date is an important skill. If you are looking for an IT job in the finance sector qualifications to consider are:
- Relevant university degree
- Microsoft Certified: Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate
- Azure Administrator Associate
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Administrator Expert
- Microsoft Cybersecurity Architect
- AWS Cloud practitioner
Your soft skills will be important to succeeding in a career in IT. We asked the financial firms we work with what skills they are most looking for when hiring IT professionals and they responded:
- Understanding of a range of programming languages
- Readiness to embrace rapid technological changes
- Excellent mathematics and numeracy skills
- Ability to understand complex numerical data
- Problem-solving skills
- Organisational skills
- Teamwork and leadership skills